7 Feb 2016

Seven Reasons Why I Go Out For Walks

my travelogues Nupur Acharjya

I am sure all of you must be aware of the myriad health reasons for walking. It strengthens your heart, lowers risk of diseases, helps lose weight, prevents dementia, tones up the body, boosts vitamin D, and makes you feel more alert and alive. Last but not the least, it boosts your mood and is a must for positive mental health. Also, you don't need any special training to walk nor do you need any financial investment. A pair of walking shoes and your readiness to step out wearing them is all that is required.
Do you need more reasons for walking? 

Whether I am bored or tired, confused or sad, lonely or irritated, walking is an elixir for me. Here are the seven reasons why I go out for walks.

My Travelogues Nupur Acharjya

1. Walking improves my creativity.

Sitting within the four walls of your house or office doesn't give you the best thoughts always. Confined to closed boundaries for hours together makes me bored and tired. I get new ideas when I step out. Did you know that Steve Jobs, the late co-founder of Apple was known for his walking meetings? Also, Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg has been seen holding meetings on foot. A new research claims that creativity improves while a person is walking and shortly thereafter.
My Travelogues Nupur Acharjya

2. With every step I take, it purges me from negativity.

Just like when you unclutter your house and remove unwanted things to create positive space, walking removes all the negativity from my mind and creates space for positive thinking. With this frame of mind, I can think clearly. With every step I take, I move closer to building a positive world around me free from anger, condemn, criticism and complaints.

My Travelogues Nupur Acharjya

 3. It helps me rethink about my life, my priorities and gives me a fresh perspective towards life. 

We are all here for a purpose and walking on the streets steers me towards a direction. Hours spent thinking about a problem simply becomes a burden but that very burden slowly disappears when I take a walk. My mind is free to think clearly and it helps me sort my priorities and shows me the right way and approach towards life.
My Travelogues Nupur Acharjya

 4. I am ready to forget and forgive.

It is difficult to forgive somebody who is near and dear to you and has hurt you deeply. Sometimes you have a fight with your buddy, your husband or your colleagues for petty issues. Whatever the reason for the fight, we cannot hold on the grudge for a long time and you may have to deal with the same person every day. You cannot avoid him/her and you cannot neglect too. To deal with this, walking becomes a therapy. Walking helps me analyse where I went wrong and what I should do to sort out my relations. It makes me ready to forget and forgive and start afresh.
My Travelogues Nupur Acharjya

 5. It gives me the strength and confidence to carry on with my day. 
I am still nervous and become fidgety when I go for meetings with my clients or even when I have to meet my child's teacher. Here is where walking has helped me immensely, to gain my lost confidence. Walking helps me feel better and when I feel better about myself, my perception towards life changes and that helps me restore my confidence. It gives me the inner strength that tells me that today is the day and I can do it.
My Travelogues Nupur Acharjya

 6. It brings me closer to nature and thereby balances the monotony in my life.

While taking a walk, I get closer to nature. A flower or two, a green shrub along the way, brightens my mood. Watching the birds flying, the clouds floating across the blue sky, a few butterflies flitting across the flowers, transports myself temporarily into the world where I can forget all the monotony of life for some time at least.
My Travelogues Nupur Acharjya

7. I step into my home, feeling refreshed and calm.
Research does support the fact that a brisk 20 to 30-minute walk can have the same effect as a mild tranquilizer. Walking makes me feel more relaxed and stress-free and when I step into my home, I am feeling better already. I feel reinvigorated to move ahead with my job and duties for the day ahead.


Afterthoughts:
Would you like to add anything else to the list? You are welcome to do so. Leave your comments below and share your thoughts.


---

No comments:

Post a Comment